Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 08:57:39 -0400
From:      Michael_Gruver/The_Revere_Group@reveregroup.com
To:        ellismc@mindspring.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:  Hard Disk sizes/suggestions (Desktop w/ IDE drives)

Michael,

I think the question to you is: What do you plan to do with FreeBSD?  If
you are going to use it as a gateway server for your cable modem or DSL
service, you don't need much more than a P90, 40mb of memory, and 3GB of
disk space. (that is all I am using and it runs great).  If you want to use
Gnome or KDE you will need more. I have a workstation running Gnome (I am
running afterstep as well) and I required a decent video card, a P266, 64mb
of memory (probobaly would run better with 128) and a lot more disk space
(I have only 6gb).  That is because you will undoubtely want to run some
applications under gnome that will require disk space and if they are
Graphical more memory.  I really could use more memory for Quake but don't
have it.

So, there you are.  Just my $.02

Mike

Any recommended minimum/maximum hard disk sizes to install FreeBSD on?
(Alone or maybe dual boot).
8GB to small?  Is 30 or 40GB a waste for normal desktop use or good choice
for a dual boot system?  I am planning a install using an
AMD K6-2/350 system with 128MB of ram.  Should I go to 256MB of ram?

I have reconfigured Outlook Express and hope it now proper formats.  Thank
for the information!

Michael