Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2006 23:25:50 +0200
From:      Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?H=E8rv=E9_Simplice_van_der_Eijk?= <herve_simplice@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firewall

Hèrvé Simplice van der Eijk wrote:
> on 1 machine I set up a freebsd 5.4  server  with dhcp, dns, ldap running on
> it.
>
> on an other machine I set up apachy webserver and both are working fine.
>
> when I'm making an http request on a windows client (internet explore) it
> shows my web site.
>
> but since I install ipfw firewall on my freebsd 5.4 (dhcp, dns ldap server)
> my windows client
> cant reach my webserver anymore.
>
> Please can somebody tell me wich port I have to open up in my firewall.

You don't only need to open a port, you also need to enable routing, I
assume your setup is like this:

Client ---- FBSD ---- Apache

You need to open port 80 (default) for the destination ip (the Apache
host) and enable routing in the kernel:

# sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

set this in /etc/sysctl.conf to enable on reboot. How to do the routing
with ipfw I don't know, I use packet filter.

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org
X.509 Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/8D03551FFCE04F0C.crt