Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 22:39:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
To:        Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>
Cc:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Conditionally removing cosmetic messages for small kernels (PICOBSD).

> 	This is also related to the identcpu.c and i686_mem.c files. While
> building a very small kernel (nanobsd :) for i486 based system I've noted
> that i686_mem.c compiled always regardless of 'cpu' keyword in the config
> file (why one need it on 486...). Similarly, identcpu.c code can reduced
> by excluding probes and corresponding messages for Pentiums if one needs
> only i486 support.

Along the same note, it seems a large portion of the UFS foo is built,
even if you have no UFS (FFS,MFS,EXT2FS,NFS,...) in your kernel. I ran
into this in connection with looking at a working MSDOSFS_ROOT.

> 	A more general question: should we allow more options to exclude
> optional and obsolete parts of the kernel ? For example, I've ripped out
> aout, aio and jail related code without any effect on functionality for my
> particular system.

Yes, please. The more stuff we can cut from the system, the better. This
will allow us to squeeze the system further in size (attobsd?) and yield
precious pages of cache for low-memory systems. Not to mention the build
time issue.

Marius