Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 22:17:46 -0600
From:      Neil W Rickert <sendmail+rickert@Sendmail.ORG>
To:        ken@mui.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, sendmail@sendmail.org
Subject:   Re: simple idea to rid the world of most spam

ken@mui.net wrote:

>Ok all, here's something that has been bugging me for months.  It's
>a very very simple idea, but I don't have the knowledge to do this:

>Have you ever noticed how spam seems to come in the same
>order and how there's a ton of incorrect email addresses that is
>sent?

This sometimes happens.

>Why can't some kind of email filter be set up that works like this?

>incorrect email sent to account A-----> turn flag on
>2nd incorrect email sent to account B ---------> turn 2nd flag on
>if 2 flags, then refuse ALL email sent from that account, place that
>name in the ban list.

>The chances of someone sending email to 2 accounts that never
>existed = 99% chance that person is sending spam.

>I've already talked to some people till I'm blue in the face.   I'm
>certainly not smart enough to code it, but I'm hoping someone smart
>out there does this ...

The important questions:

  Will this be reliable?  That is, will it mainly stop spam, and not
  have much effect on non-spam?

  Will this stop enough spam to be worth the trouble of implementing
  it?

  Will it be easy to implement?

  Will spammers be easily able to change their behavior to bypass
  this spam stopper?

  Will system administrators be willing to use this option?

My personal assessment is that this is not worth doing.  But perhaps
some of my colleagues will have different ideas.

In any case, thank you for sending us the suggestion.

 -NWR