Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 23:07:33 -0400
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Charlie Root <root@jestocost.cosc.morrisville.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslog.conf question

On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 01:29:11PM -0400, Charlie Root wrote:

> I am trying to customise my syslogd and I was just wondering if anybody
> could give me a pointer to info on what types of messages you get in the
> different categories at the differnet levels.
>
> eg. from kern, or mail, etc.
>
> I am looking for a single man page (not man syslog.conf) or web page.

I am not aware of one source for this. I am not even aware of very
many individual sources for this. Any program can make syslog(3)
calls. It would be a huge task to bring all of the information
together... and then how do you keep it up to date?

I have found this problematic too. Few, if any, manpages address what
syslog facilities their own programs use, let alone what events
generate messages at what levels. I almost always end up going to
source code,

  % egerp '(open|sys)log' *.c

To figure it out.