Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:34:15 +0000
From:      Fergus Cameron <cameron@argus-systems.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is PortSentry really safe to use?

surely it wouldn't be possible to spoof an attack 'through' a gateway ?
would the gateway not reject the traffic as invalid ?  otherwise it
would pass traffic apparently from itself but recieved on the wrong
interface.

	? ?

i realise the principle of the problem still applies - but would this
specific application work ?

On 15.03-22:07, Jesper Wallin wrote:
> Hey..
>
> Lets say I want to hide all my services by changing the standard ports on
> all server and run PortSentry.. I used to run my system like that before but
> yesterday a friend of mine was talking about a little security issue..
>
> Lets say we run a system like that on www.blah.com, what happens if I run a
> traceroute on it and fake a portscan from his default gateway? Sure he can
> add the default gateway to the portsentry.ignore file but then I just take
> the box before that and the one before that and the... and so on..
>
> Isn't PortSentry more like a problem then a help then? I'm not sure if all
> fo this work but I know it's possible to fake portscans with softwares like
> "rain" and other "custom packets" programs.
>

> Jesper Wallin (aka Z3l3zT)
> "it's better to be a lame hacker than a hacked lamer"

 Fergus Cameron                 Tel: +447779236010
                                Fax: +447980681864