Date:      Mon, 29 May 1995 10:23:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        me@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Anybody tried Quantum Atlas Drives yet?

> With people reporting problems with the Quantum Grand Prix drives
> and me having very good experiences with the Empire series -
> does anybody have experience with the 4.3 GB Quantum Atlas drives?

Not the 4.3G model, but I have been using the 2.1GB model with
outstanding results.  The difference is the 4.3G Grand Prix drives
are out of Quantums drive plant and claim to be SCSI-III (sure,
like SCSI-III is anything you can *really* claim since it is
still in draft!)  The Atlas series is out of DEC's drive division
(which Quantum aquired some time ago) and are true SCSI-II drives.

> I'm about to spec a system here and was wondering. It seems
> that the Atlas cost about the same as the 4.3 GB Barracudas,
> so, any comparison to those?
>
> Also, has anybody had experience with the 4-16 GB HP C1533A
> DDS drives? I've seen Rod recommend the ARCHIVE Pythons but
> it looks like those aren't that easily available in Germany.

Try looking under the Conner model number 4326, Archive is owned
by Conner now, and all drives ship under the Conner logo now.
(Though the firmware still ID's the drive with the original
Archive model.)  These drives are in short supply in the US
right now, so they may not be exporting them yet.

> If anybody would like to comment, this is what I've got so far:
>
> MB: ASUS PCI/I-P54TP4
> Pentium 90
> 32 MB RAM
> Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller
> Quantum Atlas 4 GB Disk
> Toshiba XM3601B CDROM (I know it's caddyless, but I like those)
> ARCHIVE Python DDS-2/DC DAT-Drive or HP C1533A DAT-Drive
> SMC EtherPower PCI (That's the one with the Digital chip, right?)

Not sure, but probably.  The SMC board I use is the ``EtherPower 10/100
Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter'' model SMC9332.  That is the card that
does both 10 & 100MB/sec ethernet using the Digital 21140 chip.  I
use Compex for the 10MB/sec only version with the Digital 21040 chip.