Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 21:52:21 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JBuilder 5

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 03:19:51AM -0500, Mikhail Kruk wrote:
> Hi,
> Following the yesterdays question I've decided to actually try to install
> JBuilder 5 on FreeBSD and got some interesting problems with that...
> I've gone through many painful moves to work around it's attempts to work
> with built in linux jre 1.3.0 distribution (which came w/o green threads
> for some reason); I've made it use native jdk1.3.1. But it refuses to read
> zip archive! It just ignores it all together. If I unzip it it actually
> starts the installer but it crashes almost immediately because, I think, I
> tries to get locales from the zip file and doesn't find it.
> Anyone knows what may be wrong with 1.3.1 and zip files? Actually I've
> tried linux-jdk1.3.0 and got the same results... doesn't want to read from
> the zip file.

Here's what I've discovered so far:

    1. "setenv LAX_DEBUG 1" will show debug output for per_install.bin
    2. If you change per_install.bin shell script, you must make sure
       that the byte count of the file stays the same, otherwise it
       will not extract the zip file.
    3. "./per_install.bin LAX_VM /usr/local/jdk1.3.1/bin/java" will
       force the installer to use the specified VM when running the
       installer.
    4. the installer will attempt to write to "/lib", "/jre", will
       *still* fail even if it succeeds.

I've given up. I don't really need JBuilder that much either.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>