Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 14:31:38 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Alex Davidson <alexd@idcomm.com>
Subject:   Re: Squid Errors

Alex Davidson wrote:

> Having installed Squid on my 2.2.7 system, whenever I boot I get
> numerous errors like this:
> squid[329]: Starting Squid Cache versrion 1.2.beta22 dor
> i386-unknown-freebsd2.2.6...
> squid[329]: Process ID 329
> squid[329]: Process ID 329
> squid[329]: /usr/local/squid/logs/access.log: (13) Persmission denied
> squid[329]: /usr/local/squid/logs/access.log: (13) Persmission denied
> squid[329]: Cannot open logfile.
> squid[329]: Cannot open logfile.
> squid[329]: Cannot open logfile.
>
> First thing it seems is that it's reporting it's a beta, Second it's for
> 2.2.6 and my system is 2.2.7.

You don't say how you installed it - Was it from the ports collection? - Have
you rebuilt your system (i.e. was it ever 2.2.6?) - Maybe you'd installed
Squid previously, and its the one from the older system?

> The conf file didn't have the log file line uncommented at first so I
> did that, the file also didn't exists at first but it does now.
>
> I am only using one user - root so I do *think* it can be security on
> the file.

Squid rarely runs as root - it normally runs as 'unknown' or on our systems as
a seperate user called 'squid' - It's complaining because it can't write to
it's log files... Look through your squid config file - and find out who it's
running as, then touch the log files, and chown them to the user Squid is
running as...

Of course, you might not have those directories to begin with, again - check
they exist and are writeable by the user Squid is running as...

Good luck,

Karl