Date:      01 Apr 2000 13:59:55 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        "David J. Kanter" <djkanter@nwu.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Package/port INDEX question

"David J. Kanter" <djkanter@nwu.edu> writes:

> Is the package index referred to when using pkg_version an amalgam of
> installed packages, installed ports, and not-installed ports?

/usr/ports/INDEX is the index of available ports.  It does not look at
what is installed: just what is in the ports tree (or, what *was* in
the ports tree when INDEX was built).  pkg_version compares this to
the installed ports and packages (which are equivalent once installed,
by the way), and determines which ones it has new versions of.

> I ask this because of the "multiple versions" that shows up when I run
> pkg_version after upgrading from 3.4-R to 3.4-S. A bunch now show up, and
> I'm assuming it's because multiple versions of a port exist, rather than my
> installation of multiple versions of a package or port.

You are completely correct.