Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 2009 10:48:43 -0500
From:      Peter Beckman <beckman@angryox.com>
To:        Thierry Herbelot <thierry.herbelot@free.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell M600 Blade: 6.4 works, 7.x and 8.x fail to boot

--0-151665445-1258213723=:10412

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009, Thierry Herbelot wrote:

> Le Friday 13 November 2009, Peter Beckman a =C3=A9crit :
>> I've been scratching my head all day on an issue that's been frustrati=
ng.

>> I've got two FreeBSD 6.2 instances installed on two M600 blades, and a=
>> moving to a new datacenter with M600 blades and trying to install Free=
BSD
>> 7.2 or 8.  But as others on this list and elsewhere have mentioned,
>> seemingly without resolution, is that it doesn't work.
>>

>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2009-July/029147.ht=
ml
>> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=3D486
>>
>> I was able to install 6.4 on it today, but I'm still at a loss as to w=
hy
>> 7.x and even 8.x will not.  Did the architecture change in such a way =
that
>> it could no longer support M600 blades?  Did someone leave something o=
ut of
>> the standard ISO kernel?  Am I not doing it right?
>>
>> Happy to pass along my dmesg.boot;
>
> from the two URLs you provide, it seems that i386 is working (for all F=
reeBSD
> versions) and only amd64 is failing : can you confirm this ?
>
> then, one of the first steps would be a the dmesg of both a succeeding =
and a
> failing kernels (verbose !)

  I tried the bootonly ISOs for 7.x and 8.x, both amd64 and i386, all of
  which fail to boot on the Dell M600.

  I was able to boot the bootonly 6.4 ISO, install via the net, and a fri=
end
  suggested I try binary updating.  I have been able to binary update to
  7.0-RELEASE thus far.  I'm trying to get to 8.0-RC3 via binary update n=
ow,
  and will report back.

  I believe the issue is not with FreeBSD but the bootonly ISO.  It could
  also be a problem with the other ISOs, I'm not yet sure.

> PS : is there any more recent version of the Dell BIOS ?

  According to the iDRAC, the firmware 2.2.3 reported as installed is wha=
  Dell reports as the latest version (August 2009).

Peter Beckman                                                  Internet G=
uy
beckman@angryox.com                                 http://www.angryox.co=
m/
--0-151665445-1258213723=:10412--