Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 14:34:15 -0500
From:      "Dave VanAuken" <dave@hawk-systems.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   determine user home directory from non-priv user

from a non-priv account we need to determine the home directory of a user...
used for interaction with web server.

Obviously pw is out of the question because we do not wish to give priv to the
web server (despite it being an enclosed system)...  any other system base
alternatives?

For example,  need to find out what user "Joe"'s home dir is... we would execute
our program ("finduserdir" in this example) in the following manner to get the
desired results:
	server# finduserdir Joe
	/usr/home/Joe
	server#

Again, we need to do this from the webserver or other non-priv userid.

Appreciate any comments.

Dave