Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 14:34:37 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        Willow <willow@tds.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ssh/sshd questions

Steve Hovey wrote:

> All I know is about a year ago, the day after I installed it, I suffered a
> root incursion.
>
> On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Willow wrote:
>
> > I just installed ssh/sshd from 2.2.7 ports, and seem to rememeber a
> > security announcement regarding it.  Does anyone remember such an
> > announcement?
> >
> > Also where is the best place to look for FreeBSD related security
> > announcements that have been posted to freebsd-security and
> > freebsd-security-notifacations?

ssh is a port for FreeBSD, I think FreeBSD-Security only deals with problems
in the kernel / core distribution files (which SSH is not)...

There has been a lot of hype about ssh recently, try www.rootshells.com as a
good starting place... The last I heard was that there is a 'known' potential
problem with running SSH compiled on certain versions of Linux with Kerberos
support, but I'm not claiming to be the authority on it...

Regards,

Karl