Date:      Sat, 18 Jul 1998 14:49:52 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Philuint <philuint@erols.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q: path for include directory...

On Saturday, 18 July 1998 at  0:29:00 -0500, Philuint wrote:
>    Hi.  I have a question.
>
>    I just downloaded a program off the net ( actually it's wmmon)
>
>    I tried to compile it then I got errors messages like can't fine *.h
> files.  I looked around and I have them in /usr/X11R6/include.
>
>     I guess it's matter of PATH.  How should I set the path so that when
> I try to compile a program, it looks in the RIGHT directory.. ( include
> directory)

By default, the compiler looks for header files in /usr/include.  If
you want to include files from elsewhere, including /usr/X11R6, you
must tell the compiler so with the -I directive.  You usually do this
by setting the CFLAGS variable in the Makefile.  What does your
Makefile look like?  If it's less than about 100 lines, you could send
it to me, or alternatively tell me where you got it from.

Greg