Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 05:35:05 -0700
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "Alexander Isaev" <A.Isaev@astelit.ru>, <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Big HDD (80 Gb) under FreeBSD 4.5

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexander Isaev" <A.Isaev@astelit.ru>
To: <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 5:37 AM
Subject: Big HDD (80 Gb) under FreeBSD 4.5

> Hello FreeBSD-Questions,
>
>   I'm trying to install FreeBSD 4.5 on 80 GB HDD (on ASUS TUSI-M
>   mother board). FDisk in sysinstall tells me that the disk geometry
>   for my HDD is incorrect and I should enter it manually. Fdisk
>   advises to use CHS (Cylinder/Heads/Sectors) settings from BIOS
>   Setup. BIOS Setup gives me the following numbers:
>
>   Cyl - 1204
>   Heads - 255
>   Sectors - 63
>   CHS capacity - 8422 MB
>   Maximum LBA capacity - 82348 MB
>
>   Numbers on the top of HDD disk itself give the following:
>   Cyl - 16383
>   Heads - 16
>   Sectors - 63
>
>   So, what "magic" numbers should I enter into Sysinstall's Fdisk?

I just did this myself about a week ago.  I remember getting the same
message but I don't remember doing anything special.  I think I just
ignored it and told Fdisk to create a slice using the entire disk.
Anyway, the numbers that Fdisk used were the like the ones on your
HDD, 16383/16/63, not the ones the BIOS reported.

Once I did the Fdisk and then disklabel, I mounted the drive and FBSD
(using df -h) saw it as a 72G drive with 66G available.  I wasn't sure
if I was getting all the drive space I should be so I asked
in -questions.  Many responded saying that 72G was probably correct as
many drive manufacturers count 1G as 1,000,000,000 (do I have the 0's
right?) and not 1,024,000,000 or something like that.  And then the
difference between the 72G and only 66G available was because of the
8% free space that the filesystem reserves for fragmentation.

Good Luck!

Drew