Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2000 18:46:32 -0700
From:      Scott Hess <scott@avantgo.com>
To:        Kai Peters <kpeters@silk.net>
Cc:        Bhishan Hemrajani <bhishan@cytosine.dhs.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Access to outbound if's IP address?

On Fri, Apr 07, 2000 at 04:19:06PM -0700, Kai Peters wrote:
> > What's easiest to do, is have them go to one of your fbsd boxes http
> > server, and then do a tail on the access_log.
> >
> > If you have apache installed, it should be:
> > /usr/local/apahche/logs/access_log
>
> I had thought about something like that (equivalent to going to a site
> like http://privacy.net/analyze) which would also give them their
> current IP.
>
> Most of our sites don't run apache though; they are plain vanilla
> gateways...

I'm not sure you fully understood the response - they could go to _YOUR_
site, and run a cgi-bin script which simply spit back "Your external
IP address is %%%%."  In fact, such a script would be very very simple,
something like:

#!/bin/sh

echo "Content-type: text/html"
echo ""
echo "Your IP address is <b>$REMOTE_ADDR</b>."

I just dropped it into an Apache cgi-bin directory, and it worked first
time off.  Gussy it up with whatever HTML you want in there, and away you go.

Later,
scott