Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 01:05:38 CST
From:      "Sean Heber" <sean@bebits.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems editing a partition table..

Ok, I was sitting here trying to get vinum to work again.  I had it working fine
 but based on some feedback to my last e-mail about big file systems I was
 rearranging some things..  And now I can't get it to work.

If I remember right I had to edit the partition table using disklabel -e
 /dev/drivename and change the partition type to "vinum".   Well, I was trying
 to and something is screwy.  Whenever I try, vi opens up, I make some changes,
 and then I try to save.   I get the following:

disklabel: Operation not supported by device
re-edit the label? [y]:

I'm confused.  This did not happen the last time I setup vinum.  What I want to
 do is concat /dev/wd2 and /dev/wd3.  But I can't even seem to get passed the
 first part of the process.

What am I missing here?  The drive that is now wd3 was one I used the last time
 I had vinum setup.  (wd2 is a new drive)    Both drives are on the same bus
 (the secondary IDE chain).  The primary chain has one drive on it and no slave.
  My boot drive is SCSI.

I'm running FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE on a dual P-II 400.   Come to think of it, when I
 tried vinum before I had 3.4 RELEASE.  Although I have doubts that it matters
 (or should I say *hopes* that it doesn't matter.. :-).  But I figured I should
 mention it anyway.

l8r
Sean

BeBits Admin