Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 10:44:21 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        msergeant@looksmart.net
Subject:   Re: How to find out audio chipset in a laptop ?

--24zk1gE8NUlDmwG9

* Mark Sergeant <msergeant@looksmart.net> [20010323 09:38]: writing on the =
subject 'How to find out audio chipset in a laptop ?'
Mark> Hi Gang,
Mark>=20
Mark> 	I feel stupid for asking this, but I have been searching the web for=
Mark> couple of days to find out the exact audio chip in my laptop (Sharp P=
C AX20).
Mark> All I have found are ac97 / sound blaster comppatible. All I know is =
it is a
Mark> Crystal Sound Studio chip but not which model. Is there anyway of fin=
ding this
Mark> information out in FreeBSD. I can see nothing in dmesg, I have tried =
a device
Mark> of pcm in my kernel config but to no avail. This is my last hope, I j=
ust get
Mark> sick of ssh'ing to whichever desktop I am next to to play music etc.
Mark>=20
Mark> Cheers,
Mark>=20
Mark> Mark

What I'd normally do in a case like this is to go to the Manufacturer's
website, locate the model and try to see if they have support, as in they
can let you download drivers. They'll say your model uses some sound
chipset on that site. If the manufacturer wound up his business, then too
bad.=20
I have a difficult situation here with a laptop a friend brought to me to
assist her install FBSD. The thing has a label on top "@Book" but I can't
figure out who-in-hell is the manufacturer. The BIOS cannot boot off a
CD-ROM and I though maybe the sob who made it has a BIOS update somewhere.
The thing came minus a floppy drive, else I wouldn't be looking that far
if I had a floppy drive.
Just a clue on how difficult things can get at times.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

All probabilities are 50%. Either a thing will happen or it won't. This is=
=20
especially true when dealing with someone you're attracted to. Likelihoods,=
=20
however, are 90% against you.=20

--24zk1gE8NUlDmwG9

--24zk1gE8NUlDmwG9--