Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 2015 10:38:25 -0500
From:      Mason Loring Bliss <mason@blisses.org>
To:        Jan Beich <jbeich@vfemail.net>
Cc:        Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usbhidctl / Logitech

On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 03:12:01PM +0100, Jan Beich wrote:

> Otherwise, add forced_attach=YES to uhidd.conf after applying
>   https://code.google.com/p/uhidd/source/detail?r=215

Why would I want to do this, though? I don't understand. Please explain.

I want to fix usbhidaction specifically. I've got a workaround in the code
that makes *my* device work for *me*, but it's not an appropriate fix for
general consumption, as it ignores the device's declaration that it returns
a range.

I think what I need to do is to write to the original authors of the code and
get some pointers about intent, and if this is misbehaviour in the device and
not the code, I need to see about adding to or imlementing quirk tables of
some sort. I'll try to put together some information later today to do just
this, since I've gotten lazy as a result of my work-around working for me.
It's still broken for everyone else, and my "fix" is incorrect in any event.

I appreciate your time in responding, in any event. If you have any insights
into uhid devices declaring a range when they evidently don't use one, I'd
love to hear them. My Logitech keyboard generates static values on these key-
presses, and they're lost when they go through the range converter, but
forcing the code to ignore ranges all the time will doubtless break other
devices that do use them.

--
Mason Loring Bliss          mason@blisses.org          Ewige Blumenkraft!
awake ? sleep : random() & 2 ? dream : sleep; -- Hamlet, Act III, Scene I