Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 19:49:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Igor Roshchin <igor@physics.uiuc.edu>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Secure Deletion

> On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Robert Watson wrote:
>

> > On a related noted, Ross Anderson and others wrote a paper on
> > steganographic file systems
> >
> > http://www.ftp.cl.cam.ac.uk/ftp/users/rja14/sfs3.ps.gz
> >
> > That is, file systems intended to hide even the presence of files if the
> > user is not authorized, cryptographically.  Ross has suggested I port the
> > linux code to FreeBSD while I'm at Cambridge for the next few weeks.
> > Given the backlog of Posix.1e stuff, I may not get around to it, but it's
> > an interesting concept.
>
> I pondered a similar idea a while back. However I was curious of how to
> address a situation like the following:
>
> user 'a' creates "myfile" in /tmp.
> user 'b' is perusing /tmp, and decides to create a file called "myfile".
>
> What is the response at this stage? Does the OS tell 'b' that their
> permission is denied, resulting in a potential for bruteforcing the
> existance of hidden files? Alternatively, you could allow 'b' to create
> "myfile", and have a psuedo file system that is only makes files created
> available to owners of the file, but allowing multiple occurences of
> "myfile" to exist in the same logical file system. But then you'd have to
> think about how you could make files available to others.
>
> Nick

Should not it be this way:
if the user is not allowed "cryptographically" to see the directory
(obviously, it would not be /tmp !), then, certainly that user should
be prohibited from writing in it (as well, as any other type of access)
by the same means.

So,  if I am not authorized to see the directory ~ncb/ ,
I should be able to write in it, and, most likely in any of its subdirectories.

May be I am missing something ?

Igor