Date:      Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:07:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   apache2's perchild MPM not working under 5.0-RELEASE

The apache2 port build and installed with WITH_MPM=perchild does not work
for me for DAV and SSL under FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE (i386).

The port's Makefile even mentions "perchild" as an WITH_MPM option.

Does anyone use perchild (with DAV or SSL)?

It is extremely slow and unusable. (Sometimes taking minutes for a DAV
command, if it even works.) Using prefork works instantly. (I want
perchild so I can have virtual hosts running with their own user and group
privileges.)

I have read old messages saying perchild didn't work, but would work with
FreeBSD 5.0.

I assume it is a threads issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions on troubleshooting this further?

My next step is to try it on a 5.1 system.

(Should I email freebsd-threads or freebsd-ports instead?)

Thank you,

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/