Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 07:19:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jaime Kikpole <jkikpole@cairodurham.org>
To:        <g.paredes@unitec.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <gerardo_enrique_paredes@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Help with ed0 driver / NE2000 compatible NIC?

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Gerardo Enrique Paredes Manc=EDa wrote:
> Ok, i'm am having a big problem with a NE2000 NIC, the default
> settings from the installation didn't found the card and i just tried
> a suggestion i found on the freebsddiary telling me to change the irq
> to 10 port to 0x300 and iomen to 0xcc000.

=09I had one of these in my first FreeBSD box (it has used release
2.2.1 through 3.x or 4.x.... I can't remember) and had a bunch of
problems, too.  Once configured, it would work fine.  It was a source of
trouble every time I added or removed hardware, though.  If you get fed
up, go buy a cheap PCI card.  Those have always "just worked" for me.

> This is how my dmesg looks like, booting in -verbose mode (windows
> says the card is NE2000 compatible is at IRQ 5 and has an i/o range
> 02a0-02bf):

=09Have you tried configuring the kernel to use these settings?

> ed0 failed to probe at port 0x300-0x31f iomem 0xcc000 irq 10 on isa0
[...snip...]
> unknown: <PnP ISA Ethernet Adapter> failed to probe at
> port 0x280-0x29f irq 10 on isa0

=09FWIW, these are the only relivant lines from dmesg.

> device=09=09ed0=09at isa? port 0x300 irq 10 iomem 0xcc000

=09Try re-compiling your kernel without the iomem part.  I seem to
recall doing it without iomem.  Also try it with other port values and
without the iomem value.

=09=09=09=09=09=09=09Jaime

--
Network Administrator