Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 04:19:27 +0200
From:      Khamba Staring <purrcat@edoropolis.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE, XFree 4.0.1, AGP and Matrox G400 --> NEED FBSD 5.x?!

Hi,

> a recent cvs update from the head branch of the dri developement cvs tree
> works here on my particualr G400.  (check http://dri.sourceforge.net.)

I guess a week-old CVS sourcetree wouldn't be that much of a difference
actually.. Are you using FBSD 4.1..?

> I believe that the 4.1 release of FreeBSD had the taskqueue stuff merged
> in.

That's true. After I edited the drmP.h file to make it include sys/taskqueue.h
(I changed the version numbers in the lines `#if __FreeBSD_version >= 50000x'
to `#if __FreeBSD_version >= 400000'), the drm/mga package compiled just
fine but still it wouldn't load correctly (the /var/log/XFree86.0.log said
`(EE) MGA(0): [drm] DRIScreenInit Failed').
The sources wouldn't have compiled without the taskqueue stuff and I guess
the version number checks in drmP.h exist for a reason (or aren't they).

> Also, the utah-glx stuff (for XFree86 3.3.6?) is known to work under
> freebsd.  Check http://utah-glx.sourceforge.net/ and
> http://www.freebsd.org/~3d.

I used to use XFree86 3.3.6 with the utah-glx package and every Mesa demo
package worked nicely (with accelleration). The problem is a 3D animation
package named Blender (see http://www.blender.nl). It has some really weird
quirks but I haven't met anyone with the same problems.. I would check out
the Blender sources if they would be available, but unfortunately only the
binaries are free; the sources are not for download.
The main reason to have upgraded to XF4.0.1 was to check if the Blender
problems would persist. Everything else works perfectly under XF4.0.1
(except all accellerated OpenGL stuff because DRI/drm/mga isn't working
until now).
I suspect the Blender code to be the problem in the first place as Mesa's
OpenGL demos all worked perfectly, but when I tried XF4.0.1 with dri,
the problems described in this thread surfaced.

Kind regards,

-- Khamba Staring