Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:09:58 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Johan Hendriks" <Johan@double-l.nl>
Cc:        Dan Allen <danallen46@airwired.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Going to BSD 8 from RELENG_7

> Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 10:17:55 +0200
> From: "Johan Hendriks" <Johan@double-l.nl>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
>
> >I cvsup and build RELENG_7 many times a week.  This has served me well
>
> >(except for the ZFS boot problem I had that went in and was backed
> >out) for quite a while.
>
> >I like to track a STABLE release.  When BSD 7 went to 7.1 and to 7.2,
> >it all just happened automatically with the way I do things.
>
> >Now I am interested on one of my BSD machines to try 8.0.  I need to
> >change my cvsup target from RELENG_7 to CURRENT I believe.  Is that
> >true?  When will STABLE become 8.0?
>
> >Also, does anyone know if there is a project page that talks about
> >8.0, its timeline, its features, etc?  If you type "8.0" into the main
>
> >freebsd.org web page it find nothing on the entire web site.
> >Obviously something is wrong...
>
> >Thanks!
>
> >Dan Allen
> >Spring Lake, Utah
>
> Change your target to tag=RELENG_8 to track 8.0-Stable Or to
> tag=RELENG_8_0 to get the release (When it is released!!!!)
> If you want to track CURRENT change your target to tag=. < do not forget
> the dot it is CURRENT ;-)
> Tag=. Will become FreeBSD 9 when 8 is released.
>

> To see some big changes go to the following page.
> http://ivoras.sharanet.org/freebsd/freebsd8.html
>
> It give you one nice overview of things changed.
>

> Be aware that if you go from 7 to 8 you will need to rebuild all your
> installed ports.
> ALso if you do a buildworld from 7 to 8 do not do the make delete-old
> and the make delete-old-libs before you have rebuild your ports.
> If you do the make delete-old and make delete-old-libs runs, all ports
> depending on the FreeBSD 7 libs will not work any more.  << read:  most
> likely all your ports.
> If you have changed for example your Shell for root to a ports based
> shell like bash and you do the make delete-old-libs you can not log in
> anymore, because bash depends on the 7 libs wich are not there anymore.

One other suggestion: if you have the libusb port installed, be sure
to delete it BEFORE you try updating any ports. libusb is now in the
base system and is incompatible with the ports version, so anything that
is linked to it will fail with the new USB stack in 8.0.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)