Date:      Sat, 3 May 2003 15:39:10 -0500
From:      Redmond Militante <r-militante@northwestern.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   second ide hard drive - toast?

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

hi all

on my home computer, i was mounting a second ide hdd using this line in my fstab

/dev/ad1c               /mnt/drive2     ufs     rw              1       1

i tried to boot the machine today, it hung while trying to mount /dev/ad1c.  i tried fsck, it couldn't read the drive.  only way i could get the machine to boot was to uncomment the above fstab line.

when i run dmesg, it shows me ad0 but not ad1.  i try to run 'fdisk /dev/ad1' or 'fdisk /dev/ad1c' and i get the message 'device not configured'

did this drive just die on me?  any tips on how to recover?

thanks

redmond

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO--