Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 2008 22:37:58 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <freebsd@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with Bridging ... and bge devices under FreeBSD 7.x?

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 01:38:38 -0300 "Marc G. Fournier" <freebsd@hub.org>  wrote:

> I only have one VM running on one server ...

Ok.

Here are some debugging suggestions.
- /etc/sysctl.conf should have the following;
    net.link.tap.user_open=1
    net.link.tap.up_on_open=1
  run sysctl manually to set these.

- if you are running qemu as user foo (and not root) you will need
    own tap0 foo:foo
  in /etc/devfs.conf and do /etc/rc.d/devfs restart.

- start qemu with -monitor stdio as this will give you a
  command line interface to qemu.  Now you can type
      info network
  to see what qemu sees.  You should see something like
    VLAN 0 devices:
      tap: ifname=tap0 setup_script=/usr/local/etc/qemu-ifup
      rtl8139 pci macaddr=52:54:00:d2:56:03

- I no longer remember if qemu-ifup is needed but without it
  you may need to manually bring up tap0.

- tcpdump on tap0 to see if ping packets (sent from the VM)
  get through.  Next tcpdump on bridge0.  Next tcpdump on bge0.

I'd still like to see the topology and ip addresses on
various interfaces.