Date:      Fri, 3 May 2002 06:23:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Zach Johnson <n74@74international.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   can't write-mount / to change fstab

Hello,

My old motherboard fried itself last week.  Today I've put in my new and
different mobo since they don't make my old one anymore.

Problem is with my old mobo I mounted / and /usr and so on NOT as /dev/wd*
but instead a different dev.  So when I boot BSD it tries to mount things
according to fstab but doesn't find things the same, so it dumps me into
single user mode.

In single user I can SEE fstab in /etc but I can't change it since I'm
mounted in read-only.  And I can't do a mount -u / since it tells me the
current device doesn't match fstab.  And I an't do a mount -u
/dev/foo / since it tells me that /dev/foo doesn't
exist!!  But I can't CREATE /dev/foo since / is mounted
read-only!!!

How the heck am I going to change fstab and create the dev's I need so I
can mount the rest of my file system?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated,
Zach Johnson