Date:      Mon, 04 Dec 2000 08:51:37
From:      "Aaron Hill" <hillaa@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   vinum with Compaq RAID

Hello again!

I'm having a problem trying to create a vinum configuration and I'm hoping
you can help. Please read on.

I have a 4.2-RELEASE system with, amoung other things, a Compaq SMART-2 RAID
adapter in it. Due to the collection of old hard drives I had sitting around
the system has the following drives available in fbsd...

/dev/idad0 = 4GB Drive
/dev/idad1 = 4GB Drive
/dev/idad2 = 6.1GB Drive
/dev/idad3 = 2GB Drive

As those device names indicate these are not physical drives but logical
drives looked after by the Compaq SMART-2 controller. I won't bore you with
the physical details of each of those logical drives but if you think it's
relevant I'll be happy to supply the information.

The fbsd system is installed on idad0 which leaves the other drives free. So
I'd prefer to have 1 x 12GB drive then a collection of 1 x 4GB, 1 x 6GB and
1 x 2GB drives.

Enter vinum. I am hoping to be able to make a logical drive across those
drives to provide the one drive setup. Redundancy is not important to me
(it's provided at hardware level) so a concat setup is good.

Now the problem. I have previously used vinum before (on a 3.4-RELEASE
system) and going through the file /var/tmp/vinum_history tells me this is
what I did to create a vinum drive previously...

5 Mar 2000 17:13:11.885224 stripe -v /dev/da0s1e /dev/da1s1e
5 Mar 2000 17:19:10.085026 ?
5 Mar 2000 17:19:11.869790 help
5 Mar 2000 17:19:24.079413 saveconfig
5 Mar 2000 17:19:27.479321 start
5 Mar 2000 17:19:28.719768 *** Created devices ***
5 Mar 2000 17:19:56.568246 quit

... and after doing that the configuration ran without a hitch for 7 months.
Now when I try the similiar command it fails. Following are the details of
the failure.

I have the following partitions setup (by using disklabel -e)...

# disklabel /dev/idad1s1
<snip>
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c:  8380288        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -
1026*)
  e:  8380288        0     vinum                        # (Cyl.    0 -
1026*)

# disklabel /dev/idad2s1
<snip>
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c: 12656128        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -
1550*)
  e: 12656128        0     vinum                        # (Cyl.    0 -
1550*)

# disklabel /dev/idad3s1
<snip>
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c:  4096544        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 505*)
  e:  4096544        0     vinum                        # (Cyl.    0 - 505*)

# vinum
vinum -> printconfig
# Vinum configuration of hostx.domain.com, saved at Mon Dec  4 19:44:52 2000
vinum -> concat -v /dev/idad1s1e /dev/idad2s1e /dev/idad2s1e
volume vinum0
  plex name vinum0.p0 org concat
drive vinumdrive0 device /dev/idad1s1e
Can't create drive vinumdrive0, device /dev/idad1s1e: Invalid argument (22)
vinum -> quit

# tail /var/log/messages
<snip>
Dec  4 19:45:40 hostx /kernel: vinum: vinum0.p0 is up
Dec  4 19:45:40 hostx /kernel: vinum: vinum0 is up

I have done a bit of searching through the usual mailing list archives and
newsgroups to find that this error usually means that the partitions in
question have not been labelled as type vinum. Surely this isn't the case
here.

So next I am wondering does vinum have a problem with the fact that the
drives in question are not physical drives by logical drives themselves?
Given the fact that vinum can make RAID-10 configurations (a logical drive
built on a logical drive) surely this isn't the case as well...?

Please, any ideas? I'm stumped.

Thanks
Aaron Hill