Date:      Fri, 05 Jan 2001 15:04:16 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
To:        Eric Harrison <Eric.Harrison@veritas.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Supported Releases

They're supported forever (theoretically)
When a release is no longer being actively developed, it goes into
"maintenance mode" whereby only security problems and major bugs are
fixed (however, but the time it's in maintenance mode there are no major
bugs left)
Probably, there's a limit at which nobody will care anymore and all
support will be dropped, but in theory, as long as the system is in use
by someone, maintenance fixes can be made.
Consider, however, that the "community energy to support older previous
releases" does not exist in open source projects.
In a company that writes software, it's necessary to specifically
designate some people to supporting older software, in open source, as
long as someone with some programming skill is interested, support
exists, regardless of what some "board of directors/Community (what's
that supposed to mean)" say or don't say about it. There's no great Ogre
of an administrator who can authoritatively designate someone to do this
or do that.

-Bill