Date:      Mon, 07 Dec 1998 07:54:46 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
Cc:        Nicholas Theriault <theriault.nicholas@iq.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hard Disk Led stays lit

rick hamell wrote:

> >       When freebsd probes for the cdrom (wcd0)  which is a SONY CDU-55E,  he
> > finds it but
> >       the hard disk led stays on until I reboot the machine.   If I disable the
> > secondary IDE controller on my
> >       mainboard (the cdrom is hooked on the 2nd controller) then fbsd does not
> > find the cdrom drive and the led acts normally.
> >       Any ideas how I can fix that ?
>
>         It is weird! Check the LED plug itself first, make sure pin 1
> goes to pin one on the controller or motherboard. NEVER under any
> circumstances plug it into the hard drive!

What's the reason for this? I've got mine plugged into the (SCSI) HD
because, apparently, the LED pins on my Diamond Fireport card don't
work under FreeBSD.

> I'd also check my master/slave
> jumpers on both the hard drive and the cdrom.
>
>                                                 Rick

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd.
Bath, Avon, England.  Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com