Date:      Tue, 4 May 1999 18:48:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Pat Lynch <lynch@rush.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Fadi Sodah <sodah@qatar.net.qa>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ICMP-attack

moving to -chat just 'cuz
On Tue, 4 May 1999, Doug White wrote:

> On Mon, 3 May 1999, Pat Lynch wrote:
>
> > DOug, that actually won't work, the only way to make smurfs useless is to
> > get enough bandwidth to handle the attack, or have your upstream filter
> > for you, the only thing thios solves is DoS on the local net, but any
> > communication in or out the gateway is still going to be impossible.
>
> Er?  If you filter ICMP at your router, the pings (or whatever) can't
> reach their intended target.
>
> If you want to completely foil smurfs on your FreeBSD boxen, set sysctl
> net.inet.icmp.bmcastecho=0.

yes, but the point of a smurf attack to is saturate a network or cripple a
router, unfortunately more times than not, smurf attacks cripple
routers(especially ones filtering those icmps),
having dealt with smurfs more than most, I've seen it happen many a time.

and yes you can avoid being a "smurf amplifier" by not responding to
braodcast pings.

blocking icmp at the host level is still not going to help at all

> > Now if you do this for icmp going out, it will keep people from launching
> > attacks from your network *but* ICMP is a useful protocol, as I found out
> > when I blocked icmp, some routers need to tell machines to send smaller
> > packets , and will send messages to that effect using ICMP, if you are
> > running a website, this is especially true.
>
> Yeah, it break MTU Discovery and other actually useful bits.  The rule
> could be more detailed.

	true, I found out to my chagrin that MTU discovery didn;t work and
was causing problems when I blocked all icmp. Most people miss the point
of icmp, its not just for ping or traceroute.

> Doug White
> Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
> http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | www.freebsd.org

Pat Lynch						lynch@rush.net
Systems Administrator					Rush Networking

"Wow, everyone looks different in Real Life (tm)"-
                                Nathan Dorfman meeting people at FUNY

"Suicide is painless, switching to NT isn't."-
				Unknown