Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 22:27:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, dm@globalserve.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Subject:   Re: NFS - Will it ever be fixed?

On 23-Mar-99 Karl Denninger wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 1999 at 07:17:07PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>> :3) I personally think that $25,000 would very easily be raised,
>> :especially when companies using FreeBSD can make targeted donations
>> :towards a goal that they would very clearly benefit from (nfs).  I think
>> :the amount that could be gathered in, say, one month will probably
>> :surprise everyone (I'm not trying to hold you to $25,000 here, because I
>> :think that might well be too small a guess).
>> :
>> :4) This wouldn't even have to be completely restricted to nfs, but it
>> :would have to be restricted to a very small, well defined problem set,
>> :of general interest.  The funds collected would have to be funnelled
>> :into a fund whose goals are not general, but specific to this effort.
>>
>>     It isn't quite so easy.  It's one thing to raise money to hire
>>     a programmer familiar enough with the code to be able to fix the
>>     problems.  *Finding* that programmer is a whole different deal, and
>>     if you make a mistake that's $25K down the drain.
>>
>>                                          -Matt
>
> Sure it is Matt.
>
> Contingent contract, payable only on final delivery of the fixes.
>
> No fix, no pay, and put a timeline on the job.
>
> Someone who knows the code well enough to be able to commit to doing this
> should also be willing to take that gig.  Its a short-term consulting
> contract anyway - why not do it this way?
>
> I've done this kind of work before.  If I know that I can deliver the
> goodies then agreeing to those kind of terms doesn't bother me at all.
>
> One thing that absolutely will do is keep the yahoos from knocking at the
> door on this one.

I've seen enough people that can BS their way into a position, that know
quite a bit about what their talking about and turn out to make a mess
out of things you don't discover for months, if not years later.  If I'd
seen it only once, I wouldn't be commenting about it here.  Unfortunately
I've seen it dozens of times, and every single one of them has been brought
on by this same 'rose colored glasses' view of the situation at hand.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2