Date:      Fri, 06 Sep 2002 09:55:51 -0700
From:      "Matthew Feadler" <thetrueelf@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mail Weirdness on 4.5-RELEASE

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this:

Here's 'uname -a':
FreeBSD mail.herdtech.com 4.5-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE #0: Mon Jan 28
14:31:56 GMT 2002
murray@builder.freebsdmall.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386

I'm running Sendmail 8.12.2 on FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE for my mail server, and
I'm experiencing an
odd problem, or, rather, suite of problems.

The server uses a private IP, and sits behind a NAT router.  Internally, I
can SSH, Telnet, etc., but my mail programs timeout when attempting to
connect via SMTP or, for that matter, POP (using qpopper).  Externally, I
cannot SSH, Telnet, etc. _and_ cannot connect via SMTP or POP.

Certainly, I suspect this is an OS issue, but, you see, almost nothing's
changed except the physical location of the equipment.  The problem started
after a move.  The router's the same, the private IPs are the same, etc.
The only difference from a networking standpoint are my public IPs, but DNS
is done correctly, as is NAT.

I'd be happy to provide whatever info is necessary to help diagnose the
issue.  I've run out of things to check, but reinstallation is simply not
something I care to do just yet.

Also, please copy thetrueelf@hotmail.com on any replies.  I'm not subscribed
to the list (for reasons of volume), and the address below is hosted on my
broken server!

Thanks again,

-ELf

Matthew A. Feadler