Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 00:40:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dave Cole <dacole@netcom.ca>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NCR controller with CAM - and Exabyte Mammoth

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

-On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, David Kelly wrote:
-
-> The Hermit Hacker writes:
-> >
-> > 	Now, just a curiousity, but what does the following mean, and
-> > should it concern me?  I get it on boot/dmesg each time, but don't see it
-> > on my AHC machine, only my NCR one...
-> >
-> > (probe6:ncr0:0:6:0): COMMAND FAILED (6 ff) @f0a0ba00.
-> > (probe5:ncr0:0:5:0): COMMAND FAILED (6 ff) @f0a0a000.
-> > (probe4:ncr0:0:4:0): COMMAND FAILED (6 ff) @f0a0a600.
-> > (probe3:ncr0:0:3:0): COMMAND FAILED (6 ff) @f0a0ac00.
-> > (probe2:ncr0:0:2:0): COMMAND FAILED (6 ff) @f0a07200.
-> > (probe1:ncr0:0:1:0): COMMAND FAILED (6 ff) @f0a07800.
-> > (probe0:ncr0:0:0:0): COMMAND FAILED (6 ff) @f0a07e00.
-
-	I just clued into this...half asleep when I posted, obviously.  I
-only have 4 devices on ncr0, id 4 and 5 don't exist...

I have an ASUS SC875 (ncr 53c875 based) that reports this for all 15
scsi ids as well, and of course, my sc200 (53c810) reports this for
each possible scsi id.

Also, while on this track, anyone tried an Exabyte Mammoth with the
latest CAM?  First, it drives the Mammoth into an error condition
right around the time it does the probes described above,
then if I try a camcontrol -r b0, the Mammoth will help rip down the
bus, requiring a reboot.  There are no scsi id conflicts, nor are
there termination issues.

Dave Cole (DC1110)                     |        dacole@netcom.ca
Systems Administrator                  |*       dacole@rik.net *
                                       |         office/~dacole/
Netcom Canada                          |* www.rik.net/~dacole/ *
905 King Street West, Toronto, M6K 3G9 |    phone - 416.341.5801
Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Sol   |      fax - 416.341.5725