Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 2002 11:35:04 -0700
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compile kernel - copy it to another machine?

On Sat, 5 Oct 2002 13:29:21 -0400 (EDT)
Tim Kellers <timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com> wrote:

> I have several custom kernel source files that I compile on my fastest
> machine and "make installkernel" on my slower desktop and server
> machines.
>
> Granted, the kernel files are bigger than normal --I keep many options
> that are not specifically required in the sourcfe files that I don't
> need; it just keeps me a bit more sane to only change machine specific
> options.
>  I have all of /usr/src exported from the machine I use to compile and
> have the exported /usr/src mounted on the machine on which I want to
> install.
>
> I use the same method to "make buildworld," too.  It's very helpful
> when upgrading the 18 odd workstations we have in our computer labs,
> too.
>
> I know there may be pitfalls in this type of mass install but, so far,
> I've been bitten by very few bugs.
>

> Tim Kellers
> CPE/NJIT

What sort of pitfalls could be expected?  The reason this issue has come
up for me is I've been working on getting a diskless workstation going.
The diskless workstation will boot off NICs boot-ROM and will load the
kernel compiled on my faster machine, but as soon as the kernel finishes
that speaks of problems associated with compiling on one machine and
then distributing that kernel to other, possibly heterogenous, machines.
It appears that the `make' process somehow factors in machine specific
information, exclusive of that in the kernel config file.  Is this
accurate?

Nathan