Date:      Mon, 1 Oct 2001 18:32:47 -0400
From:      Keith Mitchell <kmitch@weenix.guru.org>
To:        ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fs corruption (ATA / 4.4-REL)

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 10:51:19PM +0100, ian j hart wrote:
> A re-read of your original post reveals it's a k6 450. Touch the CPU
> heatsink. If you burn your finger that's the problem :)

Its a K6-2 450.  The heatsink is fine (not even remotely warm to the
touch).  All the fans are running correctly and the ambiant temp in
the case seems ok.  The MB doesn't have the env monitoring stuff so
I don't know the exact temps.

> Seriously tho' there were problems with one of the k6 chips, but it's
> so long ago I can't remember clearly whether it's the 450. What's the
> core voltage printed on the chip, and what's the M/B core voltage set
> to.
> There should also be a revision number. While you do that I'll see if I
> can find the info. If I'm correct there were two versions with different
> core voltages - one of which was suspect. Anyone remember this?

I remember something about that.  I have the later revision (the one with
the 2.2 core voltage).. I don't know what the version of the chip is.
The stepping is 12. (it would require me to take the heatsink off and
unglue it (from the heatsink compound)).

> What brand is the mobo, maybe someone else has one.

Its an FIC PA-2013.

I did check the IDE cable.  I didn't see any problem with it.  I replaced
it with a brand new cable I had in a box and it didn't make any
difference.

It should be noted, that I have had FreeBSD on this machine before.  It
was a while ago (3.2 I believe).  But, until now, I haven't done to much
with this system.  3.2 installed fine and I didn't have any corruption
problems.  I haven't gotten very far with 4.4 though...  Can't get past
compining the stuff in ports.

--
Keith Mitchell
Email: kmitch@guru.org				PGP key available upon request