Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 2000 02:23:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jon O." <netcmd@networkcommand.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading 3.2-RELEASE to 4.0-RELEASE

Hi:

Those of you who know may find this funny, those who don't might end up
with some clarity from this message.

First, I have a good backup. I wanted to upgrade from 3.2 to 4.0 and read
something about using sysinstall. I fired it up and slowly watched my
commands (ls, more, etc) start failing. Then I read this:

The most commonly made mistake in this regard is the use of an old copy of
/stand/sysinstall from an existing installation to upgrade to a newer
version of FreeBSD.  This is NOT recommended.

I think I did this. So, before restoring I figured I'd find out how to
upgrade my sysinstall and run the upgrade. However, the release notes say
don't do this, but they don't say what TO DO.

I think I'm going to restore and upgrade with cvsup. Assistance with that
would be helpful too. But, I think if sysinstall is an option the user
should be told how to do it that way and not just the quote above.

Thanks,
Jon