Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 20:41:49 +1000
From:      "Gary Harris" <gharris@wr.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Win95 install - X and packages.

I still can't get X or any packages to load from my dos partition. I can
load THEM from a FAT32 slice, can't I? I installed the whole system from
the FAT32 slice so I assume the answer is yes. I get an error reporting
that compat21 can't be found when I try to install X. I have now d/l'd
compat21 and it IS there. Directory names and paths are correct and as
per LAYOUT. Sysinstall won't let me back into the installation window
after the error, displaying the error message again instead. Package
installation aborts with the message that the package INDEX file can't
be found on the selected media. I have d/l'd this again, also, using an
ftp utility to avoid browser errors. I still wonder if name case could
be a problem?
  I'm rapidly losing patience with all this. I can't use the provided
tools to install things. I can't mount the FAT16 partition and copy them
to BSD to install. And, since I have no serial ports, (siox aren't detected) I can't d/l the
things directly from BSD. Great!
  One other thing, possibly not a problem. The first installation would
mail me with system usage whenever I logged on as root. This one
doesn't. Strange.

Here's more food for thought. The second drive doesn't appear to be
detected when BSD boots. There's a lengthy pause after wd0 and then it
goes on to other devices. perhaps this is the config problem it refers
to? Why would it not auto-detect the drive? Now I think about it, I
can't access that drive in fdisk or the label editor, either. Maybe NOW
we're getting somewhere.

        Cheers,

             Gary.

   Gary Harris