Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:20:53 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Verizon DSL & FreeBSD?

On 02/21/03 03:11 PM, chuck odonnell sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 10:31:15AM -0800, Kent Stewart wrote:
> >
> > I also don't user Verizon for an ISP because they don't permit local
> > servers.
> >

> i'm guessing you're talking about the inconvenient way some Cable/DSL
> ISPs block incoming connections on common server ports (25, 80)?

Verizon DSL does not block port 25 in the NorthEast.  Port 80 appears
blocked (Bah!), but they claim they don't block any ports.  I was told
it could be the DSL modem (Westell Wirespeed A90-210015-D4), but as
far as I can tell, it isn't configurable, and doesn't block ports
anyway.  Odd thing is that the port 80 trace stops at the modem.  I've
never been able to figure this out.

Next month, Comcast (formerly AT&T Broadband (formerly MediaOne
Broadband)) is supposed to turn on the digital upgrades in my area, so
I'm probably going to switch over.

Oh, and BTW, other than port 80, Verizon DSL/PPP works great with
FreeBSD.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

QOTD:
  "When she hauled ass, it took three trips."