Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 1995 11:41:13 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams), kelly@fsl.noaa.gov, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

Terry Lambert writes:
> > > An easy argument to make, with no administrative utilities present, but
> > > not a valid one.
> >
> > Until decent administrative utilities are present, it will continue to
> > be a requirement of a 'normal' user.  Don't put the cart before the
> > horse.
>
> The horse is a machine-administratable setup (which is what I'm arguing
> for) that pulls the tool cart behind it.

I disagree.  As we have seen time and time again in FreeBSD, even after
the framework in place for automatic tools, the automatic tools never
materialize.  So, we've changed the system for no apparent reason, thus
making it different with no gain.

Also, will the tool work on text and graphic screens?  Will the setup
be modifiable w/out the tools?  (ie; can I use vi to modify my setup?)

> If I write an administration tool that uses a particular layout, will
> you modify the layout to conform to the tools needs?  That seems to be
> the only argument that will make the layout the "cart" and the tools
> the "horse".

Show me a sample frame-work which can do all of the above, and then I
think discussions about changing the framework is more appropriate.  I
contend we don't have an acceptable technology for even building the
toolset framework yet.  That's what I meant when I said you were putting
the cart before the horse.

Nate