Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 14:55:19 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Gary Kendall <gdk@ccomp.inode.COM>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.ORG
Subject:   Re: lib/libF77 and lib/libI77

> > The libf77.a library is the "standard library" that Fortran programs are
> > linked against... similar to libc.a for C.  I'm not familiar with libIf77.a,
> > but suspect it's a variation of the standard for some special feature.  At
> > any rate, they come with the GNU compiler(s), and probably should be built
> > by the Makefiles.
>
> Yeah, but they're not and that means that they haven't been part of
> the binary distributions, either.  So that begs the question: What has
> this mysterious legion of fortran programmers been doing all this
> time? :)

They are, but as a single library (libf2c) along with a pile of other
stuff.  They *have* been part of the binary distribution all along.

(Yes, we have several customers using Fortran for data analysis; they
didn't like giving up the "comfort features" of the MS Fortran until
they realised that they could run more than one program at once.  This
sold them lock, stock and barrel. 8)

mike