Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2002 22:54:40 -0500
From:      "DaleCo Help Desk" <daleco@daleco.biz>
To:        "Walter" <walterk1@earthlink.net>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BBS

From: "Walter" <walterk1@earthlink.net>
To: "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 5:54 PM
Subject: BBS

> I see just a few BBS packages in the Ports area, is
> there one that considered best; or are there better
> solutions to offering simple user interfaces?  Such
> as Apache+Perl scripts?  Others?  Thanks.
>
> Walter

I assume we're talking BBS='forums' or 'message boards.'
phpbb is STELLAR, but I'm not sure if that's made to fit
your requirements.  The user interface can be a bit foreboding
to "newbie netizens", and it requires the equivalent of apache,
php, and mysql (other platforms are supported---I don't recall
what other db's are available).

The look and feel are fantastic, the admin interface is web based
and powerful, and it's used all over the place.  Great stuff, and
it's in the ports under /usr/ports/www/phpbb.

Kevin Kinsey