Date:      Mon, 04 Jul 2011 22:32:35 -0700
From:      Michael Sinatra <michael@rancid.berkeley.edu>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: carp for IPv6?

On 07/04/11 21:29, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 07/04/2011 21:20, Doug Barton wrote:

>>> ifconfig_carp0="vhid 80 advskew 120 pass yomama 128.32.206.100/32"
>>> ipv6_ifconfig_carp0="2607:f140:ffff:ffff::80/128"
>>>
>>> Works on 8.2-STABLE (June 7, 2011).
>>>
>>> Note that I cannot get carp to work properly without configuring an IPv4
>>> address.
>
> I should point out that I was able to do the following:
>
> ifconfig carp2 *inet6* vhid 4 ....
>
> as above, and it "worked" in the sense that it configured the carp
> interface, but subsequently my IPv6 network went straight into the
> crapper. Hence, the statement that it won't work without an IPv4 address
> seems to be correct. This seems pretty sub-optimal given the world we
> currently live in ...

Sorry, I was watching fireworks or I would have tipped you off on that
one earlier.  I was setting that config up as part of a talk I gave on
building a redundant IPv6 web reverse-proxy for World IPv6 Day, which
has some of the config snippets I just gave you.  This was at the
Internet2/ESCC Joint Techs meeting:

http://www.internet2.edu/presentations/jt2011winter/20110202-sinatra-world-IPv6-day-LT.pdf

The video for the talk can be seen here:

http://events.internet2.edu/2011/jt-clemson/agenda.cfm?go=session&id=10001572&event=1150

Anyway, I had some trouble getting carp to work correctly between 8.x
hosts and 7.x hosts (both sides claimed to be master), in addition to
the IPv6 issue.  I had meant to do some more troubleshooting after I
returned from the talk, but I was in the process of changing jobs and a
couple of the test servers at UCB are currently down and I need to get
them back up.  In other words, I haven't had the chance to troubleshoot
these issues further, but I do know that you definitely need to
configure IPv4 on the interface.

michael