Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 16:11:30 -0800
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
Cc:        "Daniel M. Eischen" <eischen@vigrid.com>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java and libc/libpthread

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 01:55:58AM +1030, Greg Lewis wrote:
> 3. As I've been tinkering with the the 1.3 code I've so far been
>    using the linuxthreads port to try and get native threads running
>    as that means our code stays very very similar to the code for
>    native threads under Linux.  I haven't succeeded with this yet,
>    but I don't believe thats because it can't work (its just lack of
>    time to debug things so far).

What ? Screw that. The LinuxThreads signal interaction with SIGCHLD,
etc... within an ill concieved thread/signal semantics specification
(aka Unix) is going to to be murder to deal with.

I recommend doing it using the normal Solaris/Pthreads code instead.

I also might be able to get our pthread library to the general FreeBSD
community which might help with your port since we have it pretty well
debugged for our (this) purposes. I haven't seen the FreeBSD pthreads
userspace library so I can't comment on the benefits and draw backs of
doing this ?

What do you think ?

> I guess to add to this, Bill Huey's port of 1.3 for BSDi uses their
> libc_r equivalent as I understand it, so this may help our efforts
> on that front.
>
> Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com

bill