Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 13:32:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mikko_Ty=F6l=E4j=E4rvi?= <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        Michal Zapasnik <bigstar@astercity.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System functions in BSD and others *nix systems.

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Michal Zapasnik wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Mikko Tyolajarvi wrote:

[...]
> > You don't check the return values of any of the msg* function calls,
> > which may have failed for various reasons.  If you do that, you may be
> > able to find out what is going wrong.
> >
> I do as you say ,
> [...]
> if (msgrcv(q, &msg, sizeof(msg), 0, 0) == -1)
> {
>    perror("msgrcv");
>    exit(0);
> }
>
> And i have
> msgrcv: Invalid argument
>
> I check in manual that is the flag [EINVAL]
> 'msqid is not a valid message queue identifier.'
>
> But if why it work on other OS and on FBSD not?, and what is vaild
> in my queue identifer.

Which obviously then caused you to check the return value of msgget(),
right? :-)  Do it.

The problem could be any one of the stupid limits associated with
System V IPCs (a really tragic piece of engineering...), or, more
likelty as you are using ftok(), the path to the file in ftok() is
wrong.  Or maybe you are running with a kernel without SysV IPCs.

Just for the hell of it, I compiled your code and ran it.  Works as
expected (bunch of fives).  This is on FreeBSD 4.2.  But I did change
the pathname used with ftok() first...

       /Mikko

 Mikko Työläjärvi_______________________________________mikko@rsasecurity.com
 RSA Security