Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 14:01:52 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>, Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>, "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Displacement of Blame[tm]

At 01:19 AM 7/14/2000, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>That's hard a good example of "one of your ideas" since other people
>have had the idea before, you simply implemented it at O'Reilly.  If
>you had not, somebody else would have.  Kind of a no-brainer, really.

Interesting. First, you tell me that talk is cheap and that you would
like me to DO something rather than just bringing up ideas. So, I do
something -- bring it to fruition -- and you pooh-pooh it because
someone else MIGHT have come up with the idea. It seems to me that
you are going to great lengths (including being inconsistent) to avoid
giving me credit for my efforts.

>> Now YOU are hurling insults.
>
>No, I'm stating what I feel to be the facts.  I don't like your ideas
>and I think that they, for the most part, suck.

To paraphrase one of your own messages to me, you are offering an
opinion without any substantiation whatsoever.

>> Jordan, while you seem to be good at doing releases and organizing
>> development, you have not done well at promoting the platform.
>
>I think I've done as good a job as anyone could expect to do and I
>also seriously doubt that you'd have done any better in my place,

I believe that there is lots of room for differences of opinion in
this area.

>so this tangent is just more of your wild opinionating in action.

So, it's OK if YOU "wildly opinionate" but not if I do (see above)?

>I'm sure you'd have us all believe that since I didn't manage to beat
>Linux and Microsoft singlehandedly, I somehow failed and should not
>stand in the way of a real stud like yourself who knows how to walk
>the walk.

No; however, I do believe that everyone has strengths and weaknesses.
While you have been good at orchestrating development, you have
not been as strong at promotion or advocacy and should enlist someone
who is stronger in those areas to do so. As I've already mentioned, I
think that you have severely curtailed the rewards you stand to gain
for your several years of effort by not doing this.

>  That's bull, just as has been your frequently-stated
>assertion that I'm "allergic to serious advocacy and highly resistent
>to new ideas."

This has been my experience. Prove me wrong, please.

>So far I've been very open to both, I've just been resistent to "rabid
>advocacy" (and you can simply read my past postings on what
>constitutes "rabid" given that you're so fond of referring to the mail
>archives)

Unfortunately, you seem to regard anything more passionate or
aggressive than "lukewarm" as "rabid." This alone will cause Linux
to eat FreeBSD's lunch, IMHO, since the success of Linux has fed
on passion.

>and I've been resistent to YOUR ideas.  I like new ideas
>just fine, but a crack smoking idea is still a crack smoking idea and
>you seem to have a disproportionate number of those.

Not being a crack smoker -- nor, in fact, a smoker of any substance --
I have no idea what sort of idea a "crack smoking" idea might be.
However, some of the ideas which you have derided the most have been
supported by people for whom you yourself profess respect.

Perhaps you have a case of NIH ("Not Invented Here") syndrome. I'm
sure you're familiare with the term.

--Brett