Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 12:17:02 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brendan Kosowski <brendan@bmk.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Setting a non-standard timezone.

On Saturday, 26 August 2000 at 13:26:25 +1100, Brendan Kosowski wrote:

> How do I set the systems default timezone to a non-standard timezone ?
>
> Eg. if I live in zone XYZ and we are 11 hours ahead of GMT.

*and* if the system doesn't know about it, *and* if you don't have
daylight savings time...

... then you do:

  # cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/Etc/GMT+11 /etc/timezone

It's almost never necessary to do this, though, and it's more likely
that you'll get things wrong.  For example, your message now comes
from bmkind.lnk.telstra.net, which is connected to
Ethernet0.lon12.Melbourne.telstra.net.  The time zone in Melbourne is
Australia/Melbourne, and the time in Melbourne is currently 10 hours
ahead of UTC.  It won't change to 11 hours ahead until tomorrow
morning.  I suppose it's possible that you're on your own island
somewhere out in the Tasman and connecting via PPP to Telstra in
Melbourne, but I suspect it's more likely that you've jumped the gun
on the time zone change.

If you use the correct time zone file, this change will be automatic;
otherwise you'll have to be sitting there next to the machine at 2 am
tomorrow morning in order to do the copy.

> I know how to do this at the user level ( by setting the TZ variable
> in the .profile to a posix compliant format, eg. XYZ-11 ) but I do
> not know how to do this at the system default level.

This is very much a second-best choice.

Greg