Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 00:32:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        Francisco Reyes <freyes@inch.com>
Cc:        FreeBSd Chat list <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Of SDSL, speed and bad ISPs

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> After almost 3 months, about 2 longer than expected, I finally got a
> working SDSL line.

For New York City, that's pretty good.  Of course a nice local ISP like
the one you use (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) would have given you a better
estimate of how long you would have to wait...

> Getting it installed involved a lot of calling the ISP and just
> constantly finding a person higher up in the food chain to call. This
> line is at one of my clients and he basically ended up talking to some
> pretty high up people and this was the only way we got the dam thing
> installed.

This is because EVERYONE (Verio included) uses either:

the local telco
Northpoint
Covad

in NYC.  There's RedConnect, but they are a whole other story...

> It is scary that with all the pushing it took us almost 3 months. Don't
> want to think how long it takes if one doesn't call daily. We did
> waited a little over a month before we started calling daily.
> Originally they promissed in 2 to 3 weeks.

At least they're optimistic ;)

> It is a 200K line, however did a couple of simple downloads and was
> only getting 4K to 6K downloading.
> I had to leave shortly after having got the line up, but plan to do
> further testing soon.
>
> What kind of thoughtput should I see in a 200K line?

A 200 kilobit line should give you about 23 KiloBytes (what Netscape and
most ftp clients report in) to a well-connected site (taking out a bit of
the ATM overhead).

> And for those in the NorthEast... Avoid using Verio as an ISP.. not
> only it took them a long time to get things done, but they totally
> ignored our calls and we had to call their main office (in the west
> coast I believe) to get things done.... and in the end it turned out
> that the installation was done by another company (northpoint) which
> makes me think Verio may be just a reseller... At least in this area.

They are a reseller everywhere, but they do have a TV ad campaign.  The
cost involved in putting DSL in every CO is very high, especially if you
want to cover the 5 boroughs of NYC, so there is really only Covad,
Northpoint, Bell ATlantic, and Red in the COs.  In less populated areas
you might see a smaller ISP trying this on their own, but going through a
reseller (we use Covad) eliminates the need for us to roll trucks for
installs or battle with Bell Atlantic over getting a decent copper pair
for a customer.  While I've seen some of our SDSL installs go very slowly,
Covad is good enough to uptdate the ISP partner and customer on a regular
basis.  The delays are usually:

Covad can't get the copper
Bell Atlantic gives them an unusable line

Both of these result in a lengthy and painful series of trouble tickets
between Bell and Covad.  However, all our DSL customers do seem to be
happy customers once it works...

Charles