Date:      Mon, 09 Apr 2007 10:22:40 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS: amd64, devd, root file system.

Quoting Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org> (from Mon, 9 Apr 2007 =20
03:17:23 +0200):

> 3. It is now possible to have root file system on ZFS. You would still
>    need UFS for your /boot/ file system.

Do you have a quick guide how to do this?

I'm a little bit puzzled how the FS layout would look like. Just from =20
thinking about it I would do the following, but I like to know if this =20
is the right way:
  - ad0s1a -> contains a / with contains only the boot directory
  - some zpool which contains / with everything except the boot
    directory

In one scenario I would just hope that ZFS DTRT magically, but this =20
would imply that ZFS does some kind of union/overlay/underlay mount.

So I lean more towards a ad0s1a mounted by hand to somewhere else in =20
the ZFS namespace and a symlink from the zfs /boot directory to the =20
real location where the UFS is mounted.

In both scenarios I'm not sure how the fstab would look like.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
The older a man gets, the farther he had to walk to school as a boy.

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137