Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 1995 14:13:19 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, nate@rocky.sri.MT.net, kaleb@x.org, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape puzzle

> Terry Lambert writes:
> [ Netscape not working ]
> > Another potential datapoint:
> >
> > We are all aware of the bind/sendmail static data initialization shared
> > library changes, right?
>
> Refreh my memory.

They changed the initializations to something that would allow copy on
write shared library data to be used as well.

Basically, it's getting rid of local data for crappy shared library
implementations.

If you mixed old and new implementations (check the bind release notes),
then the behaviour became undefined, even if you recompiled everything.

One (hack) fix is to call the initialization before it's strictly
allowed.

> > The ones that Matt Day reported and provided patches for in both Linux
> > and BSD and to the package authors?
>
> I don't remember seeing it.  Was in on the ports mailing list?

No.  It was on hackers and it was sent to one or more NetBSD and Linux
lists, as well as being mailed to Allman & company.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.